IFF

    Apparent digestibility (ileal and overall) of nutrients and endogenous nitrogen losses in growing pigs fed wheat (var. Soissons) or its by-products without or with xylanase supplementation

    The main aims of this experiment were: 1) to study the sites and extent of digestion of the nutrients in wheat (var. Soissons) and its by-products (bran, middlings) and in recombined wheat (flour+bran+middlings), 2) the contribution of microbial action (VFA apparent production) and endogenous secretion of N in the small intestine, and 3) interactions with an exogenous non starch polysaccharide (NSP) degrading enzyme (xylanase). The post valve T caecal cannula (PVTC, 12 pigs) and end-to-end ileo-rectal anastomosis (IRA, 30 pigs) ileal digesta collection methods with TiO2 and Cr2O3 as the indigestible markers and the 15N-isotope dilution technique were used in this study. 4 diets, based on wheat (W), recombined wheat (RW), wheat plus bran (WB) or wheat plus middlings (WM) were used without or with xylanase addition. NSP content was highest in the diet based on wheat bran and lowest in the W and WR diets. Recombination of the milled fractions had no effect on digestibility values relative to the ground wheat. Negative correlations occurred for apparent overall and ileal digestibility of dry matter (DM), energy, crude protein (CP) and amino acids with NSP content. As shown in some previous studies, NSP contributed to a higher ileal flow of endogenous nitrogen and volatile fatty acids and the proportion of DM fermented in the large intestine was increased. Although statistically significant the improvements associated with enzyme addition in overall apparent digestibility of DM, CP and gross energy were only of the order of 1% and those at the ileal level were less than 2%. However, with the WB diet the improvements for all three parameters were approximately 2% for overall apparent digestibility and 4% for ileal apparent digestibility
    Document information
    Product / service: Carbohydrases and Proteases
    Publication date: 01/01/2000
    Species: Pig, Nursery/piglet
    Authors: Yin YL, McEvoy JDG, Schulze H, Hennig U, Souffrant WB, McCracken KJ
    Doctype: Publications & Citations
    Publication / conference: Livestock Production Science, volume 62, abstract Y53
    Regions and countries: Global
    Keywords: action, amino, acid, acids, anastomosis, apparent, digestibility, bran, by-products, cannula, content, correlation, cp, crude, protein, diet, diets, digesta, digestibilities, digestion, dilution, technique, dm, dry, matter, endogenous, nitrogen, losses, secretion, energy, enzyme, addition, fatty, fractions, ground, wheat, growing, pig, pigs, ileal, ileo-rectal, interaction, interactions, intestine, large, loss, marker, markers, method, methods, microbial, n, non, starch, polysaccharide, nsp, nutrient, nutrients, overall, production, site, small, soissons, supplementation, vfa, volatile, xylanase
    Production challenge(s): Gut health
    Diets: Wheat, rye & triticale, Wheat, rye and tricale containing by-products
    Brands: Porzyme® 9300, Axtra® AB, Porcheck, Danisco Xylanase
    Resource ref: 5603
    This material is related to a conference
    Recently viewed

    Your single source for articles, publications & citations, product information and more...

    Much of the content on this site is freely available. Register now to receive email notifications based on your content preferences. Partners may also request access to the restricted area of the Knowledge Centre for technical product information such as trial data, reports and much more.

    Register for content notifications
    x

    DuPont's Nutrition & Biosciences and IFF are coming together

    This isn't about forming another industry giant. This is about merging curiosity and capability to create unique, leading-edge solutions at the intersection of science and creativity.

    To learn more about IFF and the merger, go to www.iff.com.